Tuesday, December 8, 2015

In Step Trail 7-Miler + Brookfield Zoo 5K + Apple Cider Century + Run&Roll Duathlon + Chicago Marathon + Lincolnwood Turkey Trot 5K+ Arnold Turkey Trot 5K

This race report will be a bit different than past posts, simply because I’m lazy and haven’t kept up with blogging. Since my last report (http://samwelchruns.blogspot.com/2015/10/ironman-madison.html), I raced a 7-mile trail race, a 5K, biked 100 miles, and jumped into my first duathlon (have I mentioned I’m an idiot?). Then ran the Chicago Marathon, and followed that up with a local Turkey Trot 5K suckfest, then a new 5K PR (maybe) at another Turkey Trot. So here’s a quick recap of the past two months, compressed into soundbites you might actually read (maybe).

~

In Step Trail 7-Mile (9/19/15): 6 days post-Ironman, I started this race with very minimal expectations, minimal sleep, but maximal shoes (wow that was terrible). Racing in my demo Challenger ATRs, I ran the first 3 miles relaxed in 2nd place, then took the lead at the halfway point and ran scared all the way home, setting a new course record in the process.
TL;DR: pwned the guy racing in Vibram FiveFinger toe shoes, setting a new CR (1st overall, 43:53); HOKA ONE ONE FTW.


Brookfield Zoo 5K (9/20/15): Literally less than 24 hours later, I definitely ran on less sleep and even fewer expectations. Warmed up for literally 2 minutes, viewing the extra 18 I’d normally do as precious energy I’d need to actually finish. Managed to run relatively not terrible despite literally EVERYTHING, plus ran into old IWU alum Mandy! 
TL;DR: 2nd overall in 17:16 around various enclosed fauna. Maybe I’ll sleep/recover/not be an idiot next time?


Apple Cider Century (9/27/15): Teaming up with vO2 max extraordinaire Chelsea, she towed me along for your casual 100-mile bike ride through hilly Three Oaks, MI. You’d think having raced that Ironman the weeks prior would’ve have me somewhat prepared, but this sufferfest was only ameliorated by the unlimited access to cookies at each aid station (and biking behind a pretty girl).
TL;DR: 100 miles in 8ish hours (?), getting emasculated by Chelsea (who did the whole thing in a fixie).


Run & Roll Duathlon (10/4/15): Racing with roommate Erik “Squanchy” Bergstrom, I was able to figuratively and literally race some uncharted territory. 2-mile run followed by 20K on the bike, and finishing with a 2-mile run, I managed to make it through the first transition in 1st place, only to get lost on the bike, only to find my way back onto the course, but substantially further back. Split the fastest run legs of the day, which confirmed that I’m not a biker and should probably practice that some more.
TL;DR: Ran 10:40 first 2-mile, 37:XX bike leg (for who knows how long), and another 10:40 2-mile for 1st in age group, 3rd overall.


Chicago Marathon (10/11/15): Working the expo and standing on concrete floors for consecutive 12-hour days leading up to racing a marathon is definitely not ideal. Nor is solely living off Clif Bars for breakfast/lunch/dinner and sleeping a solid 3-4 hours each night. Despite that, had the race of my life, netting a much-needed PR and stoking the desire to legitimately train for one of these things.
TL;DR: Ran 2:48:01 (I know – couldn’t have gone 2 seconds faster?), with a BIG negative split (1:28:XX, 1:19:XX) and lots of stoke for the next ‘thon.


Lincolnwood Turkey Trot 5K (11/22/15): Teaming up with Chelsea again, we braved the near sub-zero temps on near sub-zero sleep. Despite the cold and snow, we both somehow medaled in our age groups, neither of us at our prime.
TL;DR: 3rd overall in 17:20, feeling like death and hungry for a new PR.


Arnold Turkey Trot 5K (11/26/15): Looking to redeem myself after the previous Trot’s lackluster performance, I actually slept the night before this race, and apparently that makes a difference. Took the lead immediately, and rolled off 5:15s on a somewhat hilly course (at least compared to Chicago standards) for the dub.
TL;DR: 1st overall in 15:57, though my Garmin tells me this course must’ve been a tad short…







~

So there you have it! A crap ton of racing, and some big plans for the future! In fact, my next race will be this upcoming Sunday at the Rudolph Ramble 8K, as I seek to hone in on my college 8K PR (and thus totally shitting on my 4 years of collegiate training). Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment