Saturday, April 25, 2015

Hoka One One



WARNING: Sam gets all soul-searchy and weird in this reflective mushy post!

I’ve gone through much of my life with little direction or end goal. It’s weird, because while I consider myself a very motivated and driven person, there had never really been a destination. In a way, there are many pros to this way of life – you get to live in the moment, taking chances and opportunities when they come. But there’s never been that raison d’etre that so many of my friends had.

I was recently talking with a friend, and I confessed that, embarrassingly, up until a couple years ago, I thought there were only like, 10 jobs in the world. Throughout middle school and high school and college, you hear the same professions over and over: teacher, doctor, scientist, lawyer, astronaut, professional soccer player, and “businessman,” whatever that meant (wear a suit and carry a briefcase and just generally be boring, probably). Really though – school made it seem like there were a very finite number of categories to choose from, and my majors in college simply reflected which classes I found interesting, with zero forethought as towards a future career.

It became glaringly obvious my senior year of college when everyone and their mom (literally) was asking me what I was going to do after graduation, and I’d give them that deer-in-the-headlights look. With majors in Psychology and French (the former because I found it interesting, the latter an automatic from studying abroad), I think it was somewhat obvious that Sam had no idea what the eff he was doing. So what was I doing those four years, besides playing way too much Super Smash Bros. and StarCraft?

Running. A lot. Twice a day most days of the week. Core and plyometrics to help with proper running form and injury prevention. Swimming and biking to cross train. Spending an insane amount of time with teammates-turned-family, eating and sleeping and laughing and racing with them. Running was hardly even a hobby in high school, but in college, it became life, paramount to my very existence.

 Something happened Freshman year of college – maybe it’s because it was the first time I was “on my own,” and I was scared and in need of something to hold onto, but running became that support I could rely on. Teammates became closer than family, and despite running for a DIII school as a student-athlete, I felt very much like an athlete-student. Classes were merely a nice distraction between workouts, and even then, most of my notes had goal 400-splits scribbled in the margins.

What’s funny though, is that I’m not even that good. I’ve had decent success and some great races, but I’m nowhere near elite status. But there was passion there, enough for me, a classic type-A overachiever, to get burned out and over-trained on the regular. Despite going through multiple phases of forsaking running and pledging to become a ‘real person’ that doesn’t think about running 24/7, I haven’t been able to stay away for long. Any unbiased person could claim I’m addicted to running, and I wouldn’t disagree.

I thought I was done running when I moved out to Martinique, a tiny, hot and hilly Caribbean island, but only made it two months before I found myself logging 2-hour daily runs. Then, when I moved out to Colorado and started teaching high school French, stressed out of my mind, I only made it 1.5 months before picking up the habit again. While there’s no obligation to run, no set practice time or meets I need to train for, I can’t help but wake up every morning and lace up my shoes to hit the pavement.

Running is my passion, my raison d’etre. It’s the reason I wake up in the morning, it’s what I look forward to each night I go to bed. It influences everything from what I eat to who I hang out with to where I live.

Everyone has their passion, whether it’s drinking at the bars or playing the piano or following their favorite NBA team. Running is my rock, and God help whoever asks me about something related to running. I can be a shy person, but I will be that annoying kid WHO WILL NOT SHUT UP if I overhear someone talking about Sage Canaday’s recent OTQ attempt or Ryan Hall DNFing again. While I couldn’t name 5 professional MLB players, I can rattle off America’s top contenders in any distance, 100 meters to 100 miles. Though I couldn’t tell you who won the Super Bowl (or who played? Or what sport that is?), I can describe the subtle differences between a Hoka or a Brooks or a Newton or an Altra.

So when I was offered a Field Rep position with Hoka One One, I was happy. Ecstatic. Over-the-moon elated and more relieved than I’d ever been in my life, because I’ve never wanted anything more in my life. I confessed to the kind HR Manager I interviewed with that “if I had known such a job existed, I wouldn’t have been dicking around for so long” (exact words). But after two phone interviews, a 24-hour trip back to Chicago for an in-person interview, a Skype interview, and two interminable weeks of waiting, receiving that phone call letting me know that I got the job was life-affirming.

If I’m going to spend the majority of my waking life earning a living in exchange for food and shelter, you can be sure as hell that I’m gonna enjoy it. I tried working in a 9-5 suit-and-tie when I first graduated as a Marketing Assistant, and I swear I could feel my soul slowly withering away. Teaching has been rewarding, but my goodness am I not meant for it. Working at the local running stores in my hometown have been my most enjoyable and “fun” jobs, but making near-minimum wage 30 hours/week will hardly put ramen on the table (provided I could afford a table).

I remember going to a fancy-shmancy evening soiree with my uncle when I was like, 14. My uncle’s a big-time advertiser in New York, is the nicest dressing man I know, and is the quintessential definition of a gentleman (fun fact: he gifted me the book “How to Be a Gentleman” when I was 10, and is my most treasured possession). Plus, he’s crazy-successful. He has a swanky apartment in downtown New York City, plus a luxurious weekend home (with pool and horse stable) in the countryside.

So when he brings along my ragtag family to this evening dinner party at a veritable mansion on some ungodly number of acres, with servants offering the daintiest of cocktail weenies, my jaw hit the floor. My Dad had warned me we’d be among some rich folk (thus the reason why I wasn’t allowed to bring my Gameboy), but I had honestly never seen anything so lavish.

And I remember my uncle pulling me aside (probably to tell me to pick my jaw up off the floor, or to let me know that my fly was down). He could tell that I was in awe, and he pointed out a couple people, explaining that that so-and-so was a multi-millionaire, while that lady was the owner of blah-blah-blah. Then, my uncle looked me in the eye, and he said: “Do you know why they’re all so successful?”

I probably gave him a dumb look, because he elaborated for me. “The reason all these people are here? How they can afford parties like this? How they’re able to literally be the most successful people in their professions?” He paused for effect. “It’s because they love what they do. When you’re passionate about something, money and job-status become irrelevant. If you can find a job that you’d do regardless of money, that you love simply for being able to do it, then you’ll be successful.”

~
On May 1st, I’ll be making the 16-hour drive back to Chicago. I’ve grown to really love Colorado, and I’ll genuinely miss (some of) the kids I’ve been able to teach, the people I’ve met, and of course the trails. But it’s a small sacrifice to be able to pursue this dream job with a dream company. I’ll post below the cover letter I sent Hoka when I first applied, as it succinctly describes my passion for the Hoka brand. I’ll be back in Chicago for a total of 24 hours before they fly me out to California for 10 days (!!) of training, then I’ll be able to start repping Hoka for Illinois.
As for racing? We’ll see – obviously, there won’t be a race for at least a couple weeks. But you can be sure I’ll be rocking a pair of Hokas :P



COVER LETTER:

My first experience with the ubiquitous Hoka One One shoe was on the French Caribbean island of Martinique, back in December 2013. I was teaching English there, but also figured it would be the perfect training ground: with unwavering 70-degree weather year round and a meager 10-hour work week (yes, that’s per week), I would be able to run as much as my body could handle. I’d return to the States as an insanely fit (and sunburnt) ultramarathoner, and dominate the mountain-ultra-trail scene.

However, as a transplant from Chicago, I was totally unaccustomed to gaining anything more than 10 feet over the course of a 2-hour long run. So when the steep and unrelenting island terrain quickly began trashing my quads, I knew my minimalist New Balance Minimus would no longer suffice.

Let me back up a bit. I’ve been running competitively since 8th grade, converting from soccer to cross country and instantly falling in love. After high school, I attended Illinois Wesleyan University, and raced DIII Cross Country and Track all four years (minus a semester abroad in France). After graduating, I floundered a bit without a team (or, any idea at all about what I wanted to do with my life). The one thing I knew: I loved running, and worked at a local New Balance store until the day I left to go teach in Martinique.

So, it’s December, and noting a sale on irunfar.com, I bit the bullet, paid for the insanely-steep shipping costs (not your fault – Martinique is pretty unheard of), and (im)patiently awaited these new marshmallow shoes. Hokas were purported to absorb all the pounding my knees normally brunt, alieve the neuroma developing on my right foot, and drastically reduce the DOMS I’d experienced from workouts (and I wouldn’t be surprised if it cured cancer, too).

The Bondis I’d ordered seemed too good to be true, but when they finally arrived and I was able to bomb down that hill that previously had me wincing, I knew Hoka was on to something. I was able to completely beat myself up in training, but come back the next day totally refreshed and ready to tackle the hills again.

Fast forward 4 months, and I’m back in Illinois, racing my first 50k. Despite racing my first 5 miles faster than my half-marathon pace, I managed to finish 2nd place overall. Two weeks later, I raced the Ice Age 50k up in Wisconsin, finishing in 3rd place overall, less than a minute behind 2nd place (and I was closing strong!). A couple weeks after that, I made the trip up to Michigan, where I competed in the Yankee Springs Trail 26.2, and won my first race, placing 1st overall by more than 5 minutes.

That summer, I was working at a local running store, trying everything I could do to land a job as a Field Rep for a running company (I even chatted with XXXXXXXXXXXXXX, the Illinois Hoka Rep). However, living in my parent’s basement was far from ideal, and so when I found a job as a High School French Teacher in Colorado Springs, I had to jump on it. I had spent a summer in Boulder training with teammates in college, and had dreamed of making Colorado my home ever since. So I made the drive from 0 ft. to over 6,000 ft. above sea level, eager to train with (arguably) the best running community in the country.

But then school happened. I took on the duties of the middle school cross country coach, agreed to sponsor a couple clubs, and on top of the struggles of being a first-year high school teacher, free time to run fell by the wayside. While I love teaching and sharing my passion for French, the lifestyle itself didn’t meld with my love and aspirations for running. Visions of training with pros and joining a running club and becoming a regular at the local shop were replaced by grading and lesson planning.

So when XXXXXXXXXXX emailed me, letting me know that he had received my resume and had an open position as a Field Rep for Hoka (Hoka!), I was excited, to say the least. See, running is, and forever will be, an integral part of my life. Combined with my love for teaching, the duties of a Field Rep describe what I would honestly call my ‘dream job.’ So I was a tad heartbroken when XXXXXX later let me know that the position was filled. But it lit a fire in me, sparking a realization that this was what I wanted to do. To be able to share my passion for running with a community who may not know the incredible feel of the Stinson or how light the Clifton really are.


Hopefully, it’s apparent how much I want this job, and how perfect a fit I am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment